July 22, 2020 PRESS RELEASE COVID‐19 (Coronavirus) Update
McMinnville Water and Light (MW&L) Implements Phased Approach
to Resuming Disconnections for Non-Payment
In connection with Governor Brown’s phased reopening of Oregon, McMinnville Water and Light has established a phased approach to resuming utility disconnects for non-payment. The phase-in approach will allow customers who have been affected by the COVID-19 pandemic and who may not be familiar with MW&L’s disconnection process time to seek financial assistance or enter into a payment agreement with MW&L.
Beginning on Wednesday, July 22, McMinnville Water and Light plans to re-notice delinquent customers at disconnection by delivering door hangers and informational flyers to the service location.
Customers that receive the disconnection notice are encouraged to contact MW&L immediately to discuss possible payment arrangements or assistance options. MW&L recommends that you continue making reasonable efforts and pay as much as possible on your utility bills to avoid high balances and possible disconnection.
On Wednesday, August 12, McMinnville Water and Light plans to resume disconnections for non-payment.
NEED ASSISTANCE PAYING YOUR BILL?
If you’re experiencing a financial crisis, there are resources to help. CONTACT US TODAY!
Due to COVID-19 concerns, the main office lobby remains CLOSED to the public until further notice. However, customer service staff is AVAILABLE and here to help!
Office Hours: Monday-Thursday 7:00 am – 5:30 pm, closed Friday
In response to the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic, the McMinnville Water and Light Commission extended their emergency declaration that was originally declared on March 17, 2020, to December 16, 2020. Under this declaration:
- The General Manager is permitted to authorize extended time payment agreements for residential utility accounts to otherwise prevent disconnection for nonpayment of fees incurred during the declared state of emergency.
- Late charges and delinquency processing charges for all residential customers are being waived.
- The $3.95 convenience fee for payment with credit cards, debit cards, and e-checks are being waived.
- The main office lobby remains closed to the public, until further notice. MW&L is not able to re-open the lobby under the phase 2 re-opening Oregon plan issued by Governor Brown due to the physical distancing requirements. However, customer service staff is AVAILABLE in the office during business hours (M-Th 7:00 am-5:30 pm) to answer your questions via phone (503-472-6158) or email (moc.rewop-cm@eciffo). We continue to have crews working in the field to ensure the reliability of your electric and water service, and they are available and ready to respond to emergencies 24/7. Although our field employees (crews, meter readers, engineering staff, etc.) always appreciate a friendly wave, we want to remind the public of the importance of keeping a safe and social distance while they work to maintain our critical electric and water systems.
- Payment Assistance- MW&L has funds available through our Customers Helping Customers (CHC) program that was designed to help residential customers overcome a temporary time of crisis by providing assistance to pay their utility bills. The program is funded by customer donations, with matching funds provided by MW&L and the City of McMinnville. If you are having difficulty making your payment, please contact us (503‐472‐6158) for more information on resources available to assist you in making your payment.
The following PAYMENT options are available:
- Dropboxes located at: 855 NE Marsh Lane parking lot and the City parking lot located at 2nd & Cowls St. (Please DO NOT place cash in the dropboxes).
- Online using SmartHub. SmartHub is our online payment gateway that can be accessed from your smartphone with a free app or via your computer with a web browser. You can pay your bill, check your usage, compare past usage and more (The $3.95 Convenience Fee is being waived until further notice).
- Pay by Phone- 1-844-843-6846 using a Visa or Mastercard (The $3.95 Convenience Fee is being waived until further notice).
- SmartBill (EFT)- With this free service, your bank, savings and loan, or credit union will automatically pay your McMinnville Water and Light utility bills directly from your account.
- By Mail: Send payment to PO Box 638, McMinnville, OR 97128.
For further information regarding this press release, please contact Community Relations Coordinator Trena McManus at (503) 435-3113.