Right of Way/Easements

MW&L may require applicants to grant easements for installation of new electric and/or water lines within or across the property being served.

Easement Requirements

  • In the event the new electric and/or water line crosses property other than that of the applicant requesting service, an easement from that neighboring property owner may also be required.
  • If the new line will cross a highway, road, railroad, or other utility right-of-way or easement, MW&L may be required to obtain a permit.

Preparation of Easement Documents

  • In most cases, MVEA will prepare the necessary easements and/or permits prior to the start of construction, and the related expenses will be included in the cost of extending service to the new applicant; however, it is ultimately the applicant’s responsibility to provide all required easements.
  • Acquisition of these easements and/or permits may require payment of fees and/or preparation of a legal survey to provide the necessary documentation.
  • The easements or rights-of-way must be on forms provided by or acceptable to MVEA and executed and acknowledged by the owner(s) of record of the underlying property.
  • Projects will not be released to construction until easements have been signed, notarized, and returned to MVEA
  • MVEA will provide notary services to members for easements regarding their projects.

Execution Guides


  • All individuals who hold title to the real property must sign the easement.


  • Either a president or vice president must sign the easement
  • No “Statement of Authority” is needed
  • Include your printed name and title behind your signature


  • general partner must sign easements for a partnership
  • No “Statement of Authority” is needed
  • Include your printed name and title behind your signature

LLCS, Trusts, Estates and Joint Ventures:

When an entity such as an LLC, trust, estate, or joint venture grants an easement, a person authorized by the entity to convey real property must sign the easement.

  • Include your printed name and title behind your signature

General Restrictions for Right-of-Way/Easements

  • Permanent structures or buildings are not allowed within utility easements.
  • MW&L requires that trees be planted far enough away from all water lines and above-ground equipment so that, at maturity, 10 foot area on all sides of the equipment is maintained for access.
  • Upkeep and maintenance of landscaping in a utility easement is the responsibility of the property owner.
  • MW&L shall have the right to trim or cut down any trees and shrubbery on or adjacent to easements, and to control the growth of this landscaping by machinery or otherwise which may interfere and or pose danger with the construction and operation of utility lines.
  • Right-of-way and easement grades cannot be changed by excavation or filling without prior approval.
  • If the property owner alters the terrain or in any other way causes a need for MVEA electric facilities to be relocated or removed, the property owner shall provide necessary easement and will be required to reimburse MVEA for the related expense.

Contact Us

We’re here to help! If you have any questions regarding easement documents you have received from MW&L, please email the Engineering Department at engineering@mc-power.com. Please include your property address and account holders information along with your questions.